What will conversation design look like in 10 years?
On the future of a precarious profession
Will the profession of conversation design flourish and develop into an established branch of design? Or will the job of the “converasation designer” vanish as voice-interactive systems evolve?
How to improve conversation design practice
- better recognition and representation of talk, including prosody and social elements
- designing via voice input instead of typing, ideally preserving prosody and social elements directly
- templates and auto-completion,
- auto-pilot for talk. seq-to-seq models integrated with hand-crafted conversations allow the designer to focus on higher-level (more social cognitive) elements while pattern recognition takes care of chores
- better toolkit for implementing and automating operational aspects of conversations such as repair, turn-taking, code-switching, greeting/good bye sequences.